Can I get into College with a Criminal Record?

Thursday, 21. February 2013

Everybody makes mistakes, especially in our early years.  Children are often given more responsibilities when they hit their teenage years, and sometimes they make poor decisions.  Although it’s important that teens learn from their mistakes, a lapse in judgment shouldn’t cost a child the chance to further their education.  Below we provide some tips for applying to college if you have a juvenile criminal record.

1.  Do some research – Some schools require that you disclose your criminal past while others do not.  Oftentimes public universities and community colleges will not ask for this information, while private schools will ask that you provide it.  Depending on your past convictions, you may be better off applying to a school that doesn’t request this information up front.

2.  Learn about Federal Aid restrictions – If you plan to take out a loan to pay your way through school, you might have a tougher time receiving student aids or scholarships because of your previous convictions.  You may not be able to receive federal aid if you have previous drug charges, but state and school funding may still be possible.  Keep your budget in mind when picking a college.

3.  Tell the truth – If you are asked about past convictions on your college application, tell the truth.  If a prospective student is caught lying, it can automatically disqualify their application, even if they’ve already received a letter of acceptance from the school.  Telling the truth is the first step in showing the college that you’ve accepted responsibility for your past behavior.

4.  Be prepared – As we alluded to in our previous blog titled, “How to Job Hunt with a Criminal Record”, be prepared the answer questions about your past if the school asks you to come in for an interview.  Some important things to stress are that you’ve accepted responsibility, you understand your mistakes, and you’ve moved on.  Try to put a past conviction in a positive light by emphasizing what you learned and how you were changed by the incident.=

5.  Write a cover letter- Some colleges ask you to write a personal statement or cover letter to accompany your application.  If the application asks you to list past convictions but doesn’t give you ample room to explain your story, the personal statement can be a great spot to talk about your past.  Even if the college doesn’t require a personal statement, you may want to consider adding one if you feel like your juvenile record needs to be explained.6.

6.  Apply to multiple colleges – Most people apply to more than one college, but it is especially important if you have a criminal record.  Ultimately you don’t know how the admissions office if going to view your past convictions, so you’ll increase your odds of getting accepted if you apply to multiple places.

Related source:

The following two tabs change content below.
Avery Appelman is a criminal defense lawyer and the founder of Appelman Law Firm. While his practice is primarily recognized for its work with DWI and related offenses, he has 16 years of experience working with clients on drug, assault, theft, traffic, criminal sexual conduct, and prostitution charges.

2 Responses to “Can I get into College with a Criminal Record?”

  1. Bill Could Provide Minnesota Juveniles with a Second Chance | MN Criminal Defense Blog Says:

    [...] in life.  Oftentimes people who have committed a crime as a juvenile face an uphill battle when applying for school loans, finding a job, or securing a home.  Northeastern Minnesota Chief Public Defender Fred Friedman [...]

  2. Study Shines Ugly Light on Arrest Figures of White and Black Males Says:

    […] The study, which examined arrest data across age and race, found that a large portion of young males will have felt the cold steel of a pair of handcuffs by the young age of 23. Oftentimes these arrests can make it difficult for young adults to get a job or to get accepted to college. […]

Leave a Reply


CALL US NOW: (952) 224 2277


The attorneys of Appelman Law Firm, LLC provide criminal defense representation for their clients involved in DUI / DWI, Drug, Assault, Sex Crime, Juvenile, Misdemeanor, and Felony cases in the following Minnesota cities and counties: the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Bloomington, Richfield, Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove, Anoka, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Blaine, Roseville, Maplewood, Woodbury, Eagan, Burnsville, Savage, Prior Lake, Chaska, Chanhassen, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, St. Louis Park, Edina, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Anoka County, Dakota County, Washington County, Carver County, and Scott County. Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only.